Re: Reviewing freeze map code - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Date
Re: Reviewing freeze map code  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> How about changing the return tuple of heap_prepare_freeze_tuple to
>> a bitmap?  Two flags: "Freeze [not] done" and "[No] more freezing
>> needed"
>
> Yes, I think something like that sounds about right.

Here's a patch.  I took the approach of adding a separate bool out
parameter instead.  I am also attaching an update of the
check-visibility patch which responds to assorted review comments and
adjusting it for the problems found on Friday which could otherwise
lead to false positives.  I'm still getting occasional TIDs from the
pg_check_visible() function during pgbench runs, though, so evidently
not all is well with the world.

(Official status update: I'm hoping that senior hackers will carefully
review these patches for defects.  If they do not, I plan to commit
the patches anyway neither less than 48 nor more than 60 hours from
now after re-reviewing them myself.)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company