Re: WIP json generation enhancements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: WIP json generation enhancements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> I don't understand why you would want to create such a cast. If the cast
> doesn't exist it will do exactly what it does now, i.e. use the type's
> output function and then json quote and escape it, which in the case of
> citext is the Right Thing (tm):
>
>    andrew=# select to_json('foo"bar'::citext);
>       to_json
>      "foo\"bar"

I'm not sure either, but setting up a system where seemingly innocuous
actions can in fact have surprising and not-easily-fixable
consequences in other parts of the system doesn't seem like good
design to me.  Of course, maybe I'm misunderstanding what will happen;
I haven't actually tested it myself.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company