Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> The FK locking patch isn't on this list; however, I'm hijacking this
> thread to say that some benchmarking runs we tried weren't all that
> great, showing 9% performance degradation on stock pgbench -- i.e.  a
> large hit that will harm everybody even if they are not using FKs at
> all.  I'm thus setting the patch returned with feedback, which is sure
> to make several hackers happy and tons of users unhappy.

Ouch!  That's a real bummer.  It makes me glad that you tested it, but
I can't say I'm happy about the outcome.  Did you get in any insight
into where the regression is coming from?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company