Re: Last gasp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Last gasp
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of jue abr 05 15:40:17 -0300 2012:

> On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > The FK locking patch isn't on this list; however, I'm hijacking this
> > thread to say that some benchmarking runs we tried weren't all that
> > great, showing 9% performance degradation on stock pgbench -- i.e.  a
> > large hit that will harm everybody even if they are not using FKs at
> > all.  I'm thus setting the patch returned with feedback, which is sure
> > to make several hackers happy and tons of users unhappy.
>
> Ouch!  That's a real bummer.  It makes me glad that you tested it, but
> I can't say I'm happy about the outcome.  Did you get in any insight
> into where the regression is coming from?

Not really -- after reaching that conclusion I dropped immediate work on
the patch to do other stuff (like checking whether there's any other
patch I can help with in commitfest).  I will resume work later, for a
(hopefully early) 9.3 submission.