Re: Condition variable live lock - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Condition variable live lock
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 7:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I'm not real sure BTW why we have some callers that ereport and some
> that just exit(1).  Seems like it would be better to be consistent,
> though I'm not entirely sure which behavior to standardize on.

I think at one point we had an idea that regular backends would FATAL
if the postmaster fell over and other processes (e.g. checkpointer,
bgwriter) would exit silently.  Whether that was the right idea, and
whether it's still is/was ever what the code did, I'm not sure.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company