Re: asynchronous execution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: asynchronous execution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 7:53 AM, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan.pg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also, parent pointers are not required in the new design. Thinking of
> parent pointers, now it seems the event won't get bubbled up the tree
> with the new design. But still, , I think it's possible to switch over
> to the other asynchronous tree when some node in the current subtree
> is waiting. But I am not sure, will think more on that.

The bubbling-up still happens, because each node that made an async
request gets a callback with the final response - and if it is itself
the recipient of an async request, it can use that callback to respond
to that request in turn.  This version doesn't bubble up through
non-async-aware nodes, but that might be a good thing.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company