Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers
Date
Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers  (Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers  (Konstantin Knizhnik <k.knizhnik@postgrespro.ru>)
Re: Transactions involving multiple postgres foreign servers  (Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 6:25 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
<ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> The previous patch would not compile on the latest HEAD. Here's updated
> patch.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this doesn't apply any more.  But we have
bigger things to worry about.

The recent eXtensible Transaction Manager and the slides shared at the
Vienna sharding summit, now posted at
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8hhdhUVwRHyMXpRRHRSLWFXeXc/view make
me think that some careful thought is needed here about what we want
and how it should work. Slide 10 proposes a method for the extensible
transaction manager API to interact with FDWs.  The FDW would do this:

select dtm_join_transaction(xid);
begin transaction;
update...;
commit;

I think the idea here is that the commit command doesn't really
commit; it just escapes the distributed transaction while leaving it
marked not-committed.  When the transaction subsequently commits on
the local server, the XID is marked committed and the effects of the
transaction become visible on all nodes.

I think that this API is intended to provide not only consistent
cross-node decisions about whether a particular transaction has
committed, but also consistent visibility.  If the API is sufficient
for that and if it can be made sufficiently performant, that's a
strictly stronger guarantee than what this proposal would provide.

On the other hand, I see a couple of problems:

1. The extensible transaction manager API is meant to be pluggable.
Depending on which XTM module you choose to load, the SQL that needs
to be executed by postgres_fdw on the remote node will vary.
postgres_fdw shouldn't have knowledge of all the possible XTMs out
there, so it would need some way to know what SQL to send.

2. If the remote server isn't running the same XTM as the local
server, or if it is running the same XTM but is not part of the same
group of cooperating nodes as the local server, then we can't send a
command to join the distributed transaction at all.  In that case, the
2PC for FDW approach is still, maybe, useful.

On the whole, I'm inclined to think that the XTM-based approach is
probably more useful and more general, if we can work out the problems
with it.  I'm not sure that I'm right, though, nor am I sure how hard
it will be.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company