Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: TAP test breakage on MacOS X
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> make check-world dies ingloriously for me, like this:
>
> FWIW, it works fine for me on my Mac laptop, using the Perl 5.16.2 that
> comes standard with OSX 10.9.5.  I did have to install IPC::Run from
> CPAN though.
>
>> #   Failed test 'initdb options handling'
>> #   at /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.12.5/Test/Builder.pm line 229.
>
> This output seems to be pretty clear proof that you're not using
> Apple's Perl.  What is it exactly (where did you get it from)?
>
> Also, noticing that what you're using is evidently Perl 5.12, I'm
> wondering whether our TAP test scripts require a fairly new Perl version.
> I recall some of my Salesforce colleagues griping that the TAP scripts
> didn't work with older Perls.

I installed it via MacPorts.

[rhaas pgsql]$ which perl
/opt/local/bin/perl
[rhaas pgsql]$ perl -v

This is perl 5, version 12, subversion 5 (v5.12.5) built for
darwin-thread-multi-2level

Copyright 1987-2012, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company