Re: moving from contrib to bin - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: moving from contrib to bin
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> The benefit of moving relevant stuff is that it'll actually be installed
> by default when installing postgres on many platforms. That's currently
> often not the case. The contrib umbrella, as used by many other
> projects, actually justifies not doing so.

Agreed.  See my other response for my thoughts on that topic.

>> It will make back-patching harder
>
> I think the amount of effort a simple renamed directory which wholly
> contains a binary creates is acceptable. Just use patch -p4 instead of
> patch -p1...

That is fine if you are manually applying a patch that touches only
that directory, but if the patch also touches other stuff then it's
not as simple.  And I don't know how well git cherry-pick will follow
the moves.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company