Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol
Date
Re: Extensibility of the PostgreSQL wire protocol  (Dave Cramer <davecramer@postgres.rocks>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 2:04 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> That is a spot-on definition of where I do NOT want to end up.  Hooks
> everywhere and enormous extensions that break anytime we change anything
> in the core.  It's not really clear that anybody is going to find that
> more maintainable than a straight fork, except to the extent that it
> enables the erstwhile forkers to shove some of their work onto the PG
> community.

+1.

Making the lexer and parser extensible seems desirable to me. It would
be beneficial not only for companies like EDB and Amazon that might
want to extend the grammar in various ways, but also for extension
authors. However, it's vastly harder than Jan's proposal to make the
wire protocol pluggable. The wire protocol is pretty well-isolated
from the rest of the system. As long as you can get queries out of the
packets the client sends and package up the results to send back, it's
all good. The parser, on the other hand, is not at all well-isolated
from the rest of the system. There's a LOT of code that knows a whole
lot of stuff about the structure of parse trees, so your variant
parser can't produce parse trees for new kinds of DDL, or for new
query constructs. And if it parsed some completely different syntax
where, say, joins were not explicit, it would still have to figure out
how to represent them in a way that looked just like it came out of
the regular parser -- otherwise, parse analysis and query planning and
so forth are not going to work, unless you go and change a lot of
other code too, and I don't really have any idea how we could solve
that, even in theory. But that kind of thing just isn't a problem for
the proposal on this thread.

That being said, I'm not in favor of transferring maintenance work to
the community for this set of hooks any more than I am for something
on the parsing side. In general, I'm in favor of as much extensibility
as we can reasonably create, but with a complicated proposal like this
one, the community should expect to be able to get something out of
it. And so far what I hear Jan saying is that these hooks could in
theory be used for things other than Amazon's proprietary efforts and
those things could in theory bring benefits to the community, but
there are no actual plans to do anything with this that would benefit
anyone other than Amazon. Which seems to bring us right back to
expecting the community to maintain things for the benefit of
third-party forks.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com