Re: plpgsql versus domains - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: plpgsql versus domains
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 1:53 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> To some extent this is a workaround for the fact that plpgsql does type
> conversions the way it does (ie, by I/O rather than by using the parser's
> cast mechanisms).  We've talked about changing that, but people seem to
> be afraid of the compatibility consequences, and I'm not planning to fight
> two compatibility battles concurrently ;-)

A sensible plan, but since we're here:

- I do agree that changing the way PL/pgsql does those type
conversions is scary.  I can't predict what will break, and there's no
getting around the scariness of that.

- On the other hand, I do think it would be good to change it, because
this sucks:

rhaas=# do $$ declare x int; begin x := (3.0::numeric)/(1.0::numeric); end $$;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "3.0000000000000000"
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 1 at assignment

I didn't realize that this issue had even been discussed before...

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company