Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Use SnapshotAny in get_actual_variable_range - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [PROPOSAL] Use SnapshotAny in get_actual_variable_range
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 4:08 AM, Dmitriy Sarafannikov
<dsarafannikov@yandex.ru> wrote:
> I'd like to propose to search min and max value in index with SnapshotAny in
> get_actual_variable_range function.

+1 from me, but Tom rejected that approach last time.

> But if we delete many rows from beginning or end of index, it would be
> very expensive too because we will fetch each dead row and reject it.

Yep, and I've seen that turn into a serious problem in production.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company