Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Auto-tuning work_mem and maintenance_work_mem
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 10/10/2013 11:41 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> tunedb --available-memory=32GB
>>
>> ...and it will print out a set of proposed configuration settings.  If
>> we want a mode that rewrites the configuration file, we could have:
>>
>> tunedb --available-memory=32GB --rewrite-config-file=$PATH
>>
>> ...but that might be overkill, at least for version 1.
>
> Given that we are talking currently about ALTER SYSTEM SET *and*
> configuration directories, we should not be rewriting any existing
> config file.  We should be adding an auto-generated one, or using ALTER
> SYSTEM SET.
>
> In fact, why don't we just do this though ALTER SYSTEM SET?  add a
> plpgsql function called pg_tune().

That's another way to do it, for sure.  It does require the ability to
log in to the database.  I imagine that could be less convenient in
some scripting environments.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company