Re: allowing for control over SET ROLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: allowing for control over SET ROLE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 3:20 AM Wolfgang Walther <walther@technowledgy.de> wrote:
> The full syntax could look like this:
>
> GRANT { INHERIT | SET | ALL [ PRIVILEGES ] }
>    ON ROLE role_name [, ...]
>    TO role_specification [, ...] WITH GRANT OPTION
>    [ GRANTED BY role_specification ]
>
> With this new syntax, the existing
>
> GRANT role_name TO role_specification [WITH ADMIN OPTION];
>
> would be the same as
>
> GRANT ALL ON role_name TO role_specification [WITH GRANT OPTION];

This would be a pretty significant rework. Right now, there's only one
ADMIN OPTION on a role, and you either have it or you don't. Changing
things around so that you can have each individual privilege with or
without grant option would be a fair amount of work. I don't think
it's completely crazy, but I'm not very sold on the idea, either,
because giving somebody *either* the ability to grant INHERIT option
*or* the ability to grant SET option is largely equivalent from a
security point of view. Either way, the grantees will be able to
access the privileges of the role in some fashion. This is different
from table privileges, where SELECT and INSERT are clearly distinct
rights that do not overlap, and thus separating the ability to
administer one of those things from the ability to administer the
other one has more utility.

The situation might look different in the future if we added more role
options and if each of those were clearly severable rights. For
instance, if we had a DROP option on a role grant that conferred the
right to drop the role, that would be distinct from SET and INHERIT
and it might make sense to allow someone to administer SET and/or
INHERIT but not DROP. However, I don't have any current plans to add
such an option, and TBH I find it a little hard to come up with a
compelling list of things that would be worth adding as separate
permissions here. There are a bunch of things that one role can do to
another using ALTER ROLE, and right now you have to be SUPERUSER or
have CREATEROLE to do that stuff. In
theory, you could turn that into a big list of individual rights so
that you can e.g. GRANT CHANGE PASSWORD ON role1 TO role2 WITH GRANT
OPTION.

However, I really don't see a lot of utility in slicing things up at
that level of granularity. There isn't in my view a lot of use case
for giving a user the right to change some other user's password but
not giving them the right to set the connection limit for that same
other user -- and there's even less use case for giving some user the
ability to grant one of those rights but not the other.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com