Re: Broken defenses against dropping a partitioning column - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Broken defenses against dropping a partitioning column
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 11:02 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:32 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > That said, I'm not sure I see the use case for an ALTER TABLE .. DROP
> > COLUMN command that turns a partitioned table (with existing partitions
> > containing data) into one non-partitioned table with all data minus the
> > partitioning column(s).
>
> I think it would be useful to have "ALTER TABLE blah NOT PARTITIONED" but I

...hit send too soon, and also, I don't think anyone will be very
happy if they get that behavior as a side effect of a DROP statement,
mostly because it could take an extremely long time to execute.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company