Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 2:26 PM Melanie Plageman
<melanieplageman@gmail.com> wrote:
> For the vacuum WAL volume reduction, there were a bunch of smaller
> projects throughout the last development year that I worked on that
> were committed by different people and with different individual
> benefits. Some changes caused vacuum to do less visibility checks (so
> less CPU usage), some changed WAL format in a way that saves some
> space, and some, like the commit you mention, make vacuum emit less
> WAL. That commit by itself doesn't contain all of the user benefits of
> the whole project. I couldn't think of a good place to list all of the
> commits together that were part of the same project. Perhaps you could
> argue that they were not in fact part of the same project and instead
> were just small individual changes -- none of which are individually
> worth including in the release notes.

Yeah, I think a lot of projects have this problem in one way or
another, but I think it may be worse for performance-related projects.

I wasn't intending to knock that particular commit, just to be clear,
or the commit message. I'm just saying that sometimes summarizing the
commit log may not be as easy as we'd hope.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com