Re: [HACKERS] compiler warning in set_tablefunc_size_estimates - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] compiler warning in set_tablefunc_size_estimates
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I tried a non-cassert compile on a machine that has a pickier compiler
>> than my laptop, and got:
>
>> costsize.c: In function ‘set_tablefunc_size_estimates’:
>> costsize.c:4574:17: error: variable ‘rte’ set but not used
>> [-Werror=unused-but-set-variable]
>
>> That appears to be a legitimate gripe.  Perhaps:
>
> I think PG_USED_FOR_ASSERTS_ONLY would be a better solution.  It's
> only happenstance that the function currently uses the RTE just
> for this; if it grows another use, your approach would be harder
> to clean up.

Yeah, we might have to revert the entire -4/+1 line patch.

Actually, the thing I don't like about that is that that then we're
still emitting code for the planner_rt_fetch.  That probably doesn't
cost much, but why do it?

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company