Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_basebackup vs. Windows and tablespaces
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> I'm not fully on board with that premise.  (Get a better tar tool.
> Submit a patch.)

Noah was unable to find one that works:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20130801161519.GA334956@tornado.leadboat.com

If most tar tools worked, and there was one that didn't, I think
that'd be a reasonable argument.  But telling people to get a better
tool when they'd have to write it first seems rather unfriendly.

> But this also ties in with the recent discovery that the tar format
> cannot handle symlinks longer than 99 bytes.  So this patch could also
> fix that problem by putting the untruncated name of the symlink in the
> WAL data.

Yeah, seems like a chance to kill two birds with one stone.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company