Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] scram and \password
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka@iki.fi> wrote:
> There's going to be a default, one way or another. The default is going to
> come from password_encryption, or it's going to be a hard-coded value or
> logic based on server-version in PQencryptPasswordConn(). Or it's going to
> be a hard-coded value or logic implemented in every application that uses
> PQencryptPasswordConn(). I think looking at password_encryption makes the
> most sense. The application is not in a good position to make the decision,
> and forcing the end-user to choose every time they change a password is too
> onerous.

I think there should be no default, and the caller should have to pass
the algorithm explicitly.  If they want to determine what default to
pass by running 'SHOW password_encryption', that's their choice.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company