Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 1:57 PM Peter Eisentraut
> Depends on what one considers to be covered by FIPS.  The entire rest of
> SCRAM is custom code, so running it on top of the world's greatest
> SHA-256 implementation isn't going to make the end product any more
> trustworthy.

I mean, the issue here, as is so often the case, is not what is
actually more secure, but what meets the terms of some security
standard. At least in the US, FIPS 140-2 compliance is a reasonably
common need, so if we can make it easier for people who have that need
to be compliant, they are more likely to use PostgreSQL, which seems
like something that we should want. Our opinions about that standard
do not matter to the users who are legally required to comply with it;
the opinions of their lawyers and auditors do.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company