Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Works for me - this is really the cleaner way of doing it...
>>
>> We cannot use -X stream with tar output format mode. So I'm afraid that
>> removing -X fetch would make people using tar output format feel disappointed.
>> Or we should make -X stream work with tar mode.
>
> Ah, yes, I've actually had that on my TODO for some time.
>
> I think the easy way of doing that is to just create an xlog.tar file.
> Since we already create "base.tar" and possibly n*<tablespace.tar>,
> adding one more file shouldn't be a big problem, and would make such
> an implementation much easier. Would be trivial to do .tar.gz for it
> as well, just like for the others.

Still, that seems like a pretty good reason not to rip the old mode
out completely.  Actually, I'd favor that anyway: changing the default
in one release and removing the deprecated feature in a later release
usually provides a smoother upgrade path.  But if there are features
that aren't even present in the newer mode yet, that's an even better
reason.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company