Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] parallel.c oblivion of worker-startup failures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 10:59 PM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> The patch doesn't apply cleanly on the head, but after rebasing it, I
> have reviewed and tested it and it seems to be working fine.  Apart
> from this specific issue, I think we should consider making
> nworkers_launched reliable (at the very least for cases where it
> matters).  You seem to be of opinion that can be a source of subtle
> bugs which I don't deny but now I think we are starting to see some
> use cases of such a mechanism as indicated by Peter G. in parallel
> create index thread.  Even, if we find some way for parallel create
> index to not rely on that assumption, I won't be surprised if some
> future parallelism work would have such a requirement.

Isn't making nworkers_launched reliable exactly what this patch does?
It converts the rare cases in which nworkers_launched would have been
unreliable into errors, precisely so that code like parallel CREATE
INDEX doesn't need to worry about the case where it's inaccurate.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company