Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."
Date
Re: recovering from "found xmin ... from before relfrozenxid ..."  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 21, 2020 at 2:21 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Right, but what we end up with is that the very same tuple xmin and
> xmax might result in pruning/deletion, or not, depending on whether
> it's part of a HOT chain or not.  That's at best pretty weird, and
> at worst it means that corner-case bugs in other places are triggered
> in only one of the two scenarios ... which is what we have here.

I'm not sure I really understand how that's happening, because surely
HOT chains and non-HOT chains are pruned by the same code, but it
doesn't sound good.

> FWIW, weakening the sanity checks in heap_prepare_freeze_tuple is
> *not* my preferred fix here.  But it'll take some work in other
> places to preserve them.

Make sense.

--
Robert Haas