Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Freeze avoidance of very large table.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 1:32 AM, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 11:05 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> What is your main worry about changing the name of this map, is it
> about more code churn or is it about that we might introduce new issues
> or is it about that people are already accustomed to call this map as
> visibility map?

My concern is mostly that I think calling it the "visibility and
freeze map" is excessively long and wordy.

One observation that someone made previously is that there is a
difference between "all-visible" and "index-only scan OK".  An
all-visible page that has a HOT update is no longer all-visible (it
needs vacuuming) but an index-only scan would still be OK (because
only the non-indexed values in the tuple have changed, and every scan
scan can see either the old or the new tuple but not both.  At
present, the index-only scan will consult the heap page anyway,
because all we know is that the page is not all-visible.  But maybe in
the future somebody will decide to add a bit for that.  Then we'd have
the "visibility, usable for index-only scans, and freeze map", but I
think "_vufiosfm" will not be a good choice for a file suffix.

So similarly here.  The file suffix doesn't need to enumerate all the
bits that are present for each page.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company