Re: something has gone wrong, but what is it? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: something has gone wrong, but what is it?
Date
Re: something has gone wrong, but what is it?
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 9:53 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> -                       elog(ERROR, "something has gone wrong");
> +                       elog(ERROR, "unrecognized AuxProcType: %d", (int) auxtype);
>
> +1 ... the existing message is clearly not up to project standard.

After a bit of further looking around I noticed that there's another
check for an invalid auxtype in this function which uses a slightly
different message text and also PANIC rather than ERROR.

I think we should adopt that here too, for consistency, as in the attached.

The distinction between PANIC and ERROR doesn't really seem to matter
here. Either way, the server goes into an infinite crash-and-restart
loop. May as well be consistent.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com