Re: Unwanted expression simplification in PG12b2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Unwanted expression simplification in PG12b2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 7:47 AM Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
<me@komzpa.net> wrote:
> A heuristic I believe should help my case (and I hardly imagine how it can break others) is that in presence of
Gather,all the function calls that are parallel safe should be pushed into it.

The cost of pushing data through the Sort is not necessarily
insignificant.  Your functions are (IIUC) extremely expensive, so it's
worth going to any length to reduce the time spent evaluating them.
However, if someone has ||(text,text) in the tlist, that might be the
wrong approach, because it's not saving much to compute that earlier
and it might make the sort a lot wider, especially if de-TOASTing is
involved.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company