Re: initdb and fsync - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: initdb and fsync
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> > How are the results with sync_file_range(fd, 0, 0,
>> > SYNC_FILE_RANGE_WRITE)?
>> That is much faster than using fadvise. It goes down to ~2s.
>
>> Unfortunately, that's non-portable. Any other ideas? 6.5s a little on
>> the annoying side (and causes some disconcerting sounds to come from my
>> disk), especially when we _know_ it can be done in 2s.
> Its not like posix_fadvise is actually portable. So I personally don't see a
> problem with that, but...

Well, sync_file_range only works on Linux, and will probably never
work anywhere else.  posix_fadvise() at least has a chance of being
supported on other platforms, being a standard and all that.  Though I
see that my Mac has neither.  :-(

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company