Re: [HACKERS] Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listen errors - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Upgrading postmaster's log messages about bind/listen errors
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 4:01 PM, Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
> On 03/09/2017 12:27 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Over in
>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/201703072317.01345.john.iliffe%40iliffe.ca
>> we spent quite a lot of effort to diagnose what turned out to be a simple
>> networking misconfiguration.  It would probably have taken a lot less
>> effort if the postmaster were more forthcoming about exactly what address
>> it's trying to bind to.  I seem to recall having wanted to include that
>> info in the messages many years ago, but at the time we lacked any
>> reasonably-portable way to decode a struct addrinfo.  Now we have
>> pg_getnameinfo_all(), so PFA a patch to include the specific address in
>> any complaint about failures in the socket/bind/listen sequence.
>>
>> For good measure I also added a DEBUG1 log message reporting successful
>> binding to a port.  I'm not sure if there's an argument for putting this
>> out at LOG level (i.e. by default) --- any thoughts about that?
>
> +1 for making it LOG instead of DEBUG1

I would tend to vote against that, because startup is getting
gradually chattier and chattier, and I think this isn't likely to be
of interest to very many people most of the time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company