Re: [HACKERS] Radix tree for character conversion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Radix tree for character conversion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> +# make_charmap - convert charset table to charmap hash
>> +#     with checking duplicate source code
>> Maybe this should be "with checking of duplicated source codes".
>
> Even though I'm not good English writer, 'duplicated codes' looks
> as multiple copies of the original 'code' (for me, of
> course). And the 'checking' is a (pure) verbal noun (means not a
> deverbal noun) so 'of' is not required. But, of course, I'm not
> sure which sounds more natural as English

The problem is that, because "checking" is a noun in this sentence, it
can't be followed by a direct object so you need "of" to connect
"checking" with the thing that is being checked.  However, what I
would do is rearrange this sentence slightly as to use "checking" as a
verb, like this:

convert charset table to charmap hash, checking for duplicate source
codes along the way

While I don't think Michael's suggestion is wrong, I find the above a
little more natural.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company