Re: Fillfactor for GIN indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Fillfactor for GIN indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 4:27 AM, Alexander Korotkov
<aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 8:12 AM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Please find attached a simple patch adding fillfactor as storage parameter
>> for GIN indexes. The default value is the same as the one currently aka 100
>> to have the pages completely packed when a GIN index is created.
>

> That's not true. Let us discuss it a little bit.
> In btree access method index is created by sorting index tuples. Once they
> are sorted it can write a tree with any fullness of the pages. With
> completely filled pages you will get flood of index page splits on table
> updates or inserts. In order to avoid that the default fillfactor is 90.
> Besides index creation, btree access method tries to follow given fillfactor
> in the case of inserting ordered data. When rightmost page splits then
> fillfactor percent of data goes to the left page.
> Btree page life cycle is between being freshly branched by split (50%
> filled) and being full packed (100% filled) and then splitted. Thus we can
> roughly estimate average fullness of btree page to be 75%. This
> "equilibrium" state can be achieved by huge amount of inserts over btree
>
> Fillfactor was spreaded to other access methods. For instance, GiST. In
> GiST, tree is always constructed by page splits. So, freshly created GiST is
> already in its "equilibrium" state. Even more GiST doesn't splits page by
> halves. Split ration depends on opclass. So, "equilibrium" fullness of
> particular GiST index is even less than 75%. What does fillfactor do with
> GiST? It makes GiST pages split on fillfactor fullness on index build. So,
> GiST is even less fulled. But why? You anyway don't get flood of split on
> fresh GiST index because it's in "equilibrium" state. That's why I would
> rather delete fillfactor from GiST until we have some algorithm to construct
> GiST without page splits.
>
> What is going on with GIN? GIN is, basically, two-level nested btree. So,
> fillfactor should be applicable here. But GIN is not constructed like
> btree...
> GIN accumulates maintenance_work_mem of data and then inserts it into the
> tree. So fresh GIN is the result of insertion of maintenance_work_mem
> buckets. And each bucket is sorted. On small index (or large
> maintenance_work_mem) it would be the only one bucket. GIN has two levels of
> btree: entry tree and posting tree. Currently entry tree has on special
> logic to control fullness during index build. So, with only one bucket entry
> tree will be 50% filled. With many buckets entry tree will be at
> "equilibrium" state. In some specific cases (about two buckets) entry tree
> can be almost fully packed. Insertion into posting tree is always ordered
> during index build because posting tree is a tree of TIDs. When posting tree
> page splits it leaves left page fully packed during index build and 75%
> packed during insertion (because it expects some sequential inserts).

> [...]

This is a very interesting explanation; thanks for writing it up!

It does leave me wondering why anyone would want fillfactor for GIN at
all, even if they were willing to rewrite the build algorithm.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company