Re: backup manifests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: backup manifests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> Sure, it'd be work, and for "adding a simple backup manifest", maybe too
> much to be worth considering ... but that's not what is going on here,
> is it?  Are we really *just* going to add a backup manifest to
> pg_basebackup and call it done?  That's not what I understood the goal
> here to be but rather to start doing a lot of other things with
> pg_basebackup beyond just having a manifest and if you think just a bit
> farther down the path, I think you start to realize that you're going to
> need this base set of capabilities to get to a point where pg_basebackup
> (or whatever it ends up being called) is able to have the kind of
> capabilities that exist in other PG backup software already.

I have no development plans for pg_basebackup that require extending
the format of the manifest file in any significant way, and am not
aware that anyone else has such plans either. If you are aware of
something I'm not, or if anyone else is, it would be helpful to know
about it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company