Re: thinko in basic_archive.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: thinko in basic_archive.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 11:28 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Yeah, leaving a potentially unbounded number of files around after
> > > system crashes seems pretty unfriendly. I'm not sure how to fix that,
> > > exactly.
>
> Unbounded number of sequential crash-restarts itself is a more serious
> problem..

They don't have to be sequential. Garbage could accumulate over weeks,
months, or years.

Anyway, I agree we should hope that the system doesn't crash often,
but we cannot prevent the system administrator from removing the power
whenever they like. We can however try to reduce the number of
database-related things that go wrong if this happens, and I think we
should. Bharath's patch seems like it's probably a good idea, and if
we can do better, we should.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com