Re: proposal: ANSI SQL 2011 syntax for named parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: proposal: ANSI SQL 2011 syntax for named parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 4 February 2013 19:53, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This seems pretty close to an accusation of bad faith, which I don't
>> believe to be present.
>
> Robert, this is not an accusation of bad faith, just an observation
> that we can move forwards more quickly.

It's your opinion, to which you are certainly entitled, but it is not
an observation of an objective fact.

>> I find your attitude toward backward compatibility to be astonishingly
>> inconsistent.  We haven't made any progress on overhauling
>> recovery.conf in two years because you've steadfastly stonewalled any
>> forward progress on backwards-compatibility grounds, even though a
>> change there can't possible break any working PostgreSQL
>> *application*, only the admin tools.
>
> I stonewalled nothing; what exactly do you think I hoped to gain by
> such actions? In fact, I repeatedly encouraged change and showed how
> we could have both backwards compatibility and progress. Any lack of
> progress is not a result of my request for backwards compatibility,
> made in the interests of avoiding data loss and very broken
> applications.

I don't agree with that characterization of what happened.  There was
a patch that basically everyone except you agreed on last year around
this time, and neither it nor anything else has been committed.  The
issue here is rather complicated because there are a lot of subtly
different things that could be done, and I think saying that you
"showed how we could have both backward compatibility and progress"
sweeps a significant amount of meaningful detail under the rug.  As I
recall, there were meaningful objections to your counter-proposal, you
didn't agree with those objections, and that's where we got stuck.
What we need on that issue is a detailed plan that meets with general
agreement, not an assertion (without supporting detail) that you know
how to solve the problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company