Re: new unicode table border styles for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: new unicode table border styles for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 2:08 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
>> > Now for the linestyles.  I can see how some of them are attractive, but
>> > several of them have poor aesthetics, I think.  I don't see a reason to
>> > accept 7 new styles just for fun.  If I had to choose, I'd consider
>> > -double1 and -double4 to be acceptable.
>>
>> I'm confused why we need ANY of these.  What problem are we solving
>> that the existing unicode style doesn't already solve?  We could
>> doubtless invent an infinite or at least very large number of
>> plausible ways to border psql output, but I don't see that as
>> something that has value.
>
> You know what I think would have some value?  An output style that emits
> DocBook markup for tables, something which we could paste on the docs.
> (I already use the LaTeX mode to paste in presentation slides.)

Sure.  I have never personally wanted that, but I see the value of it:
it makes something that's probably annoying to do right now simple.
That's a functional enhancement; this is not.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company