Re: Dangling Client Backend Process - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Dangling Client Backend Process
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Rajeev rastogi
<rajeev.rastogi@huawei.com> wrote:
> On  19 October 2015 21:37, Robert Haas [mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com] Wrote:
>
>>On Sat, Oct 17, 2015 at 4:52 PM, Alvaro Herrera
>><alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>>> I agree.  When postmaster terminates without waiting for all backends
>>> to go away, things are going horribly wrong -- either a DBA has done
>>> something stupid, or the system is misbehaving.  As Andres says, if
>>> another backend dies at that point, things are even worse -- the dying
>>> backend could have been holding a critical lwlock, for instance, or it
>>> could have corrupted shared buffers on its way out.  It is not
>>> sensible to leave the rest of the backends in the system still trying
>>> to run just because there is no one there to kill them.
>>
>>Yep.  +1 for changing this.
>
> Seems many people are in favor of this change.
> I have made changes to handle backend exit on postmaster death (after they finished their work and waiting for new
command).
> Changes are as per approach explained in my earlier mail i.e.
> 1. WaitLatchOrSocket called from secure_read and secure_write function will wait on an additional event as
WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH.
> 2. There is a possibility that the command is read without waiting on latch. This case is handled by checking
postmasterstatus after command read (i.e. after ReadCommand).

> Attached is the patch.

I don't think that proc_exit(1) is the right way to exit here.  It's
not very friendly to exit without at least attempting to give the
client a clue about what has gone wrong.  I suggest something like
this:
           ereport(FATAL,                   (errcode(ERRCODE_ADMIN_SHUTDOWN),            errmsg("terminating connection
dueto postmaster shutdown")));

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company