Re: Add --{no-,}bypassrls flags to createuser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Add --{no-,}bypassrls flags to createuser
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 15, 2022 at 2:33 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > printf(_("  -b, --belongs-to=ROLE     new role will be a member of this role\n"));
>
> +       printf(_("  -m, --membership=ROLE     this role will be a member of new role\n"));
>
> membership sounds somewhat obscure, it seems *to me* members is clearer
>
> > printf(_("  -m, --member=ROLE        new role will be a member of this role\n"));
>
> I'd like to hear others' opinions.

I think that we need to preserve consistency with the SQL syntax as
much as possible -- and neither MEMBER nor MEMBERSHIP nor BELONGS_TO
appear in that syntax. A lot of the terminology in this area seems
poorly chosen and confusing to me, but having two ways to refer to
something probably won't be an improvement even if the second name is
better-chosen than the first one.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com