Re: snapshot too old, configured by time - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: snapshot too old, configured by time
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 11:03 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Kevin Grittner wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > The right thing to do about that is just change it back to the
>> > way Kevin had it originally.
>>
>> Since this change to BufferGetPage() has caused severe back-patch
>> pain for at least two committers so far, I will revert that (very
>> recent) change to this patch later today unless I hear an
>> objections.
>
> I vote for back-patching a no-op change instead, as discussed elsewhere.

That wouldn't have fixed my problem, which involved rebasing a patch.
I really think it's also a bad precedent to back-patch things into
older branches that are not themselves bug fixes.  Users count on us
not to destabilize older branches, and that means being minimalist
about what we put into them.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company