Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Build HTML documentation using XSLT stylesheets by default - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Build HTML documentation using XSLT stylesheets by default
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 9:46 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Erik Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
>> This xslt build  takes  8+ minutes, compared to barely 1 minute for
>> 'oldhtml'.
>
> I'm just discovering the same.
>
>> I'd say that is a strong disadvantage.
>
> I'd say that is flat out unacceptable.  I won't ever use this toolchain
> if it's that much slower than the old way.  What was the improvement
> we were hoping for, again?

Gosh, and I thought the existing toolchain was already ridiculously
slow.  Couldn't somebody write a Perl script that generated the HTML
documentation from the SGML in, like, a second?  I mean, we're
basically just mapping one set up markup tags to another set of markup
tags.  And splitting up some files for the HTML version.  And adding
some boilerplate.  But none of that sounds like it should be all that
hard.

I am reminded of the saying that XML is like violence -- if it doesn't
solve your problem, you're not using enough of it.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company