Re: Test code is worth the space - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Test code is worth the space
Date
Re: Test code is worth the space  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> This resistance to adding tests seems quite short sighted to me,
> especially when the concern is about queries that will each typically
> take less than 1ms to execute. Like Noah, I think that it would be
> very helpful to simply be more inclusive of additional tests that
> don't increase test coverage by as much as each query in a minimal
> subset. I am not at all convinced by arguments about the cost of
> maintaining tests when a simple behavioral change occurs.

I've removed tests from patches that in my opinion were unlikely to
fail either (a) for any reason or (b) for any reason other than an
intentional change, and I think that's a reasonable thing to do.
However, I still think it's a good idea, and useful, to try to expand
the code coverage we get from 'make check'.  However, the bigger
issue, IMHO, is the stuff that can't be tested via pg_regress, e.g.
because it needs hooks, like what Alvaro is talking about, or because
it needs a custom testing framework.  Recovery, for example, really
needs a lot more testing, as we talked about at PGCon.  If we just
expand what 'make check' covers and don't deal with those kinds of
things, we will be improving our test coverage but maybe not all that
much.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company