Re: WIP checksums patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: WIP checksums patch
Date
Re: WIP checksums patch  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Jim Nasby <jim@nasby.net> wrote:
> For whatever it's worth... we (and presumably others) still use londiste (or
> Slony) as our upgrade path, so we could tolerate a cluster-wide setting.
> We'd just set it when building new clusters via londiste and forget about
> it.
>
> So I'd rather see this get in at a cluster level than not make it at all
> while we wait for something better.

Yeah.  I definitely think that we could shed an enormous amount of
complexity by deciding that this is, for now, an option that can only
be selected at initdb time.  That would remove approximately 85% of
everything I've ever disliked about this patch - without, I think,
precluding the possibility of improving things later.

It also occurred to me that another way to reduce the scope of this
change would be to have a first version that does CRCs only for SLRU
pages.  That would be useful for verifying the integrity of some of
our most critical data (pg_clog) and be a useful building block toward
a more complete implementation.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company