Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: extend pgbench expressions with functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:58 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi.kyotaro@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
> By the way, the complexity comes from separating integer and
> double. If there is no serios reason to separate them, handling
> all values as double makes things far simpler.

-1.  double is an inexact type, whereas integer is an exact type.

The typical way to handle this sort of thing is to define a struct
whose first member is a type field and whose second field is a union
of all the types you need to care about.  Then that gets passed around
everywhere.  This patch should be designed in such a way that if we
eventually end up with functions that have 10 different return types
instead of 2 different return types, we don't need to add 8 more
parameters to any functions.  Instead, those still return
PgBench_Value (or whatever we call it) which is the aforementioned
struct, but there are more options for what that can contain.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company