Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)
Date
In response to Re: Report checkpoint progress with pg_stat_progress_checkpoint (was: Report checkpoint progress in server logs)  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 16, 2022 at 2:52 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> I don't think we'd want every buffer write or whatnot go through the
> changecount mechanism, on some non-x86 platforms that could be noticable. But
> if we didn't stage the stats updates locally I think we could make most of the
> stats changes without that overhead.  For updates that just increment a single
> counter there's simply no benefit in the changecount mechanism afaict.

You might be right, but I'm not sure whether it's worth stressing
about. The progress reporting mechanism uses the st_changecount
mechanism, too, and as far as I know nobody's complained about that
having too much overhead. Maybe they have, though, and I've just
missed it.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com