Re: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: CustomScan support on readfuncs.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM, Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> wrote:

>> > I have no preference here.
>> >
>> > Even if we dump library_name/symbol_name as if field in CustomScan,
>> > not CustomScanMethods, in a similar way, we cannot use WRITE_STRING_FIELD
>> > here, because its 'fldname' assumes these members are direct field of
>> > CustomScan.
>> >
>> >   /* Write a character-string (possibly NULL) field */
>> >   #define WRITE_STRING_FIELD(fldname) \
>> >       (appendStringInfo(str, " :" CppAsString(fldname) " "), \
>> >        _outToken(str, node->fldname))
>>
>> Well that's exactly what I was suggesting: making them a direct field
>> of CustomScan.
>>
> Let me confirm. Are you suggesting to have library_name/symbol_name
> in CustomScan, not CustomScanMethods?
> I prefer these fields are in CustomScanMethods because we don't need
> to setup them again once PG_init set up these symbols. CustomScan has
> to be created every time when it is chosen by planner.

True.  But that doesn't cost much.  I'm not sure it's better, so if
you don't like it, don't worry about it.

>> > One other question I have. Do we have a portable way to lookup
>> > a pair of library and symbol by address?
>> > Glibc has dladdr() functions that returns these information,
>> > however, manpage warned it is not defined by POSIX.
>> > If we would be able to have any portable way, it may make the
>> > interface simpler.
>>
>> Yes: load_external_function.
>>
> It looks up an address by a pair of library and symbol name....
> What I'm looking for is a portable function that looks up a pair
> of library and symbol name by an address, like dladdr() of glibc.
> I don't know whether other *nix or windows have these infrastructure.

No, that doesn't exist, and the chances of us trying add that
infrastructure for this feature are nil.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company