Re: Atomics hardware support table & supported architectures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Atomics hardware support table & supported architectures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 27, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-06-24 10:22:08 -0700, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>>
>> > Not sure what you mean with the 'actively breaking Alpha' statement?
>> > That we should drop Alpha?
>>
>> +1.  Especially with no buildfarm critter.  Would anyone here care
>> to bet even the price of a burger that Alpha isn't broken already?
>
> Here's a patch removing alpha/true64/osf/1 support. I think I got most
> relevant references, not sure if I missed something.
>
> Since there seems to be (unanimous?) support for dropping alpha and some
> patches coming up that need to deal with platform dependent stuff it
> seems sensible to do this first.

I have noticed that most PostgreSQL committers seem for format their
commit messages so that paragraphs are separated by a blank line, but
you seem not to do that.  I find that less readable.

I don't personally object to dropping Alpha, but when this was
discussed back in October, Stefan did:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/52616373.10004@kaltenbrunner.cc

But I think he's rather in the minority anyway.  Also, if we added a
fallback implementation for spinlocks that uses GCC intrinsics, it
would probably work again, as much as it does now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company