Re: Wraparound warning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Wraparound warning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:20 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Do we still need to report the wraparound warning on server startup?
>
>         LOG:  MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
>
> I thought that was going to be removed at some point, no?

If you start with a 9.3.small cluster and do a pg_upgrade to 10, you
could end up not seeing that message and not having those protections
enabled, and it would be useful to be able to tell that from looking
at the log.

Maybe what we should do (since this message obviously annoys everyone)
is change things so that, starting in v10, a message is logged at
startup if those protections are NOT enabled, and nothing is logged if
they are enabled.  Keep the message for the case where protections are
enabled later, after startup time.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company