Re: Lockless StrategyGetBuffer() clock sweep - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Lockless StrategyGetBuffer() clock sweep
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2014-12-10 21:52:17 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> Maybe you could store the pgprocno instead of the PROC *.
>
> That's a good idea. Here's a patch implementing that and other things.

Thanks.  Cool.

> Changes:
> * The handling of wraparound is slight changed. There's a separate patch
>   for the case where nextVictimBuffer is above NBuffers. That allows a)
>   to avoid the somewhat expensive modulo operation in the common case b)
>   always consistent results for StrategySyncStart()
> * StrategySyncStart() doesn't have a situation in which it can return
>   inaccurate information anymore. That could actually trigger an
>   assertion bgwriter.
> * There was a bug because the local victim variable was signed instead
>   of unsigned.
> * Clock sweep ticks are moved into a separate routine.
>
> Comments?

You need to spell-check your commit message.  My spell-checker
complains about acquiration, aleviated, aleviates, and clocksweep.
The first is not a word at all; perhaps you meant acquisition.  The
next two, I believe, need a double-l rather than a single-l.
"acquiration" also appears in the text of the patch, along with
"wether" (should be "whether").  And the last one should be two words.

I don't think I have anything to say about the substance of the patch.
If fetch-and-add is faster than a spinlock cycle, then it is.  And
it's good to be fast.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company