Re: castoroides spinlock failure on test_shm_mq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: castoroides spinlock failure on test_shm_mq
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 12:24 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Has anybody noticed the way castoroides is randomly failing?
>
>   SELECT test_shm_mq_pipelined(16384, (select string_agg(chr(32+(random()*95)::int), '') from
generate_series(1,270000)),200, 3);

> ! PANIC:  stuck spinlock (100cb92f4) detected at atomics.c:30
> ! server closed the connection unexpectedly
> !       This probably means the server terminated abnormally
> !       before or while processing the request.
> ! connection to server was lost

Yeah, Andres and I discussed it a month ago:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20150527225528.GP5310@alap3.anarazel.de

I think we're going to need to try to implement real memory barriers
on all architectures we support.  It's not clear whether there's some
suitable generic fallback that we could use or whether we're going to
need something different for each case.  I had thought Andres was
planning to work on this.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company