Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)
Date
In response to Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Delegating superuser tasks to new security roles (Was: Granting control of SUSET gucs to non-superusers)  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 26, 2021 at 4:05 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> As I understood Mark's suggestion, the trigger would run but would have
> the privileges of the intersection of both user's permissions, which is
> an interesting idea but not one we've got any way to really do today as
> each privilege check would now need to check two different roles for
> privilege- and if one of the privilege checks fails, then what..?
> Presumably there would be an ERROR returned, meaning that the operation
> would be able to be prevented from happening by the trigger author,
> which was objected to as not being acceptable either, per below.

I think I may not have expressed myself clearly enough here. What I'm
concerned about is: Alice should not be permitted to preventing Bob
from doing something which Bob is allowed to do and Alice is not
allowed to do. If Alice is the administrator of PostgreSQL's XYZ
subsystem, she can permit Bob from using it if she wishes. But if Bob
is an administrator of XYZ and Alice is not, there shouldn't be a way
for Alice to obstruct Bob's access to that system.

Do you agree?

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com