Re: [JDBC] [HACKERS] Channel binding support for SCRAM-SHA-256 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: [JDBC] [HACKERS] Channel binding support for SCRAM-SHA-256
Date
Re: [JDBC] [HACKERS] Channel binding support for SCRAM-SHA-256  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Re: [HACKERS] Channel binding support for SCRAM-SHA-256  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] Channel binding support for SCRAM-SHA-256  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 1:00 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> All-in-all, this sounds like it's heading in the right direction, at
> least at a high level.  Glad to see that there's been consideration of
> other TLS implementations, and as such I don't think we need to be
> overly concerned about the specifics of the OpenSSL API here.

That sounds like undue optimism to me.  Unless somebody's tested that
Michael's proposed implementation, which uses undocumented OpenSSL
APIs, actually interoperates properly with a SCRAM + channel binding
implementation based on some other underlying SSL implementation, we
can't really know that it's going to work.  It's not like we're
calling SSL_do_the_right_thing_for_channel_binding_thing_per_rfc5929().
We're calling SSL_do_something_undocumented() and hoping that
something_undocumented ==
the_right_thing_for_channel_binding_thing_per_rfc5929.  Could be true,
but without actual interoperability testing it sounds pretty
speculative to me.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company