Re: pgsql: Unbreak the build. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pgsql: Unbreak the build.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 12:03 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking into this now, but that's not the same Assert(false). The
> one Andres is talking about is at the end of get_bc_algorithm_name().
> This one is in tar_open_for_write(). AFAIK, the first of these is
> actually unreachable or at least I see no evidence that we are
> reaching it. The second is clearly reachable because we're failing the
> assertion. I thought that might be because I didn't test
> --without-zlib locally, and indeed in testing that just now, I found
> another unused variable warning which I need to fix. But, that doesn't
> account for this failure, because when I correct the problem with the
> unused variable, all the tests pass.
>
> I think what likely happened here is that in reorganizing some of the
> logic in basebackup.c, I caused COMPRESSION_GZIP to get passed to
> tar_open_for_write() even when HAVE_LIBZ is not defined. But I don't
> yet understand why it only happens on Windows. I am suspicious that
> the problem is in basebackup.c's main() function, but I haven't
> pinpointed it yet.

Oh, it's not that: it's that Windows is using threads, and therefore
LogStreamerMain() is getting called with the wrong arguments. I guess
I just need to move the additional parameters that I added to
LogStreamerMain() into members in the logstreamer_param struct.

--
Robert Haas
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com